Monday 28 November 2011

Greetings and salutations

I've been inspired to create this blog by Izabela Walters over at Neuropsych Geek.

I have read so many fantastic texts and articles in neuropsychology and associated areas, I thought it might be fun to share them with others. And to see what books and articles other people recommend. And to discuss what makes these references useful.

At the moment, I'm enjoying The other brain by R. Douglas Fields. I bought it up in Sydney at the CCN conference earlier this month, along with a few other tantalizing neuro titles. The shop assistant commented that my selection looked like heavy reading, but I told her they were light reading compared to other things I've read!

The other brain is a fascinating and eminently readable book, written by a neuroscientist who specializes in "neuron-glia interactions, brain development, and the cellular mechanisms of memory" (back cover blurb). I read the first 3 chapters on the flight home, and thought I'd only read one chapter, it was so gripping! Fields traces the history of neuroscience, the focus on neurons and axons, and the mysterious and neglected role of glial cells. It's refreshing to revise the history of neuroscience in this way, and Fields has an eloquent style that makes reading about Golgi stains, neurons, axons, dendrites, synapses, and Schwann cells far more interesting than the texts I remember from my postgrad days.

I'm looking forward to finishing this book over the next month, and hope to learn more about our glial cells and their function. I've always been inspired by potential paradigm shifts - that will probably be a theme here - I only wish I could get my children to be as enthusiastic about change:)

I'd better stop writing and start reading!

'bye for now

Fiona

No comments:

Post a Comment