Sunday 18 December 2011

supervision and supervisees

I'm looking forward to lots of reading in the next couple of weeks!

One book I'm particularly keen to read isn't specifically neuropsychological, but its theme is central to one of the reasons why I love being a neuropsychologist - the ability to contribute to the training and development of other neuropsychologists. The book is:

Carroll, M, & Gilbert, MC (2011). On being a supervisee: Creating learning partnerships (2nd ed.) Kew: PsychOz Publications

The reason this book appeals to me is because it is intended to help the supervisee get the most out of supervision. It should also help supervisors to do a better job by looking at things from the supervisee's point of view.

I must confess I haven't read it in depth yet, but skimming through the chapters, it looks like it's going to be one of those useful books that I'll refer to repeatedly, and share with others (starting now). It has lots of useful Appendices at the end (eg sample 2-way supervision contracts, evaluation forms, checklists, learning styles, and other forms that I want to start using straight away!). It also has a nice declaration of supervisee rights and responsibilities at the start, which you can see in the download available here:



Finally, they quote this wonderful poem which seems very apt at this time of year. You can find more about the poem and the author if you look it up in your search engine of choice.


The Student's Prayer (Umberto Maturana)

Don't impose on me what you know,
I want to explore the unknown
and be the source of my own discoveries.
Let the known be my liberation, not my slavery.

The world of your truth can be my limitation,
your wisdom my negation.
Don't instruct me: let's walk together.
Let my richness begin where yours ends.

Show me that I can stand
on your shoulders.
Reveal yourself so that I can be
something different.

You believe that every human being
can love and create.
I understand, then, your fear
when I ask you to live according to your wisdom.

You will not know who I am
by listening to yourself.
Don't instruct me; let me be.
Your failure is that I be identical to you.

PS the book is available in Australia through PsychOz publications

No comments:

Post a Comment